My photo
Nice to e-meet you! That's internet for Hello. And that's also about as far as I got in planning what to say in this thing...but as a lover of spontaneity and the inability to edit my own words because that would mean actually having an awareness as to the nothingingness that I am about to ramble on about for far too long...I'm just going to go ahead and keep typing. Apparently...

Welcome to LiveCity

My city has been taken over by the Olympics! Over the last few weeks Vancouver has become the most exciting place to be. Although I am not in complete agreement with being the host city, I have come to terms with it and for the past few weeks have been trying to take advantage of all the amazing celebrations going on (with many more still to come!).

On Tuesday I woke up to a beautifully sunny sky and being my last day off I instantly got the urge to head out downtown. Because it was a spontaneous decision, and a Tuesday, I didn't bother calling anyone to join me but I usually enjoy my own company anyways and had no real plans or schedule other than to take in the spirit of the Olympics.

The day started off with me missing my bus, but luckily the buses are all running quite regularly to allow for the increase in tourists. The bus/skytrain was super busy and it was so neat to see and hear people from all over the world in my hometown! It made me feel very proud to live here, listening to people in aww of our wonderful city.

I got downtown and was in love with everything! I am the type of person who absolutely loves crowds and being in the middle of all the busyness and excitment so this was perfect for me! I could not have been happier! I was enjoying seeing all of the artwork and venders and displays and everything that there was to see! I went to the Vancouver Art Gallery and sat on the towering steps atop the city so that I could people watch (my favorite activity of all time). As I was sitting, enjoying the chatter and the sunshine, a guy came over and sat next to me. He started talking to me and trying to engage me in conversation and to be honest I knew immediately that he wasn't really my type but I was in such a good mood that I was content just sitting with him and I always enjoy meeting new people, especially ones from far off places (he was from jamacia). So we sat and small talked for a bit and then he suggested that we should go bike riding. So of course I'm thinking, yah, okay crazy guy I don't think so. I dont think I even realized that he could be serious so I completely just blew it off. We started walking down the street for about 10 minutes and then he stopped and said okay, here is the place and sure enough we are standing in front of a lot of bikes outside of a bike rental shop. I think my expression must have been shock and terror, I said there is no way I can ride a bike, I'm in high heels and a skirt and who rents bikes anyways?!? But sure enough, he was determined that we were going to do this and next thing I knew I was pedalling my pink bicycle along the seawall of Stanley Park on the most gorgeous day you could imagine with a complete stranger.



He was a very interesting guy and I enjoyed his company but even more than that I enjoyed the wind and the sunshine and the breathtaking views. I hadn't been on a bike in years so it actually felt really weird at first and I felt like I was a little kid again, I was only missing the basket and streamers. If it can be considered a date it was the best date ever! He wasn't even really hitting on me that much, it was actually very strange the whole thing but I was in a carefree mood and thought to hell with it, who cares, I never do anything like this, I'm just going to let go and enjoy this wonderful day! And so I did.






The seawall was packed with tourists and on our ride I met several different people from all over and a few atheletes as well! It was so neat! It was such a perfect day and it was so random and unlike me to do something like this which made it even more
special.




After we rode around the entire city for about 3 hours, he offered to take me out for a fancy dinner to which I declined (It's always good to leave things on a high note). As we said goodbye and went our seperate ways, I walked away, turned the corner and about 2 seconds later I was approached by another guy who came over and started walking with me and immediately asked me out for coffee.
This day was already pretty crazy in my books (I hardly go on dates ever, let alone 2 in one day, and 2 in one day with complete strangers is just too much. Im all for a little sponteneity and adventure but come on). So I said no.
But this guy was from Spain and he was not going to let me off the hook that easily. He was very persistant and insisted I give him a reason why I couldnt go. He was not impressed by my saying that I was in a rush and told me that surely I had 5 minutes to go for coffee with him so what choice did I have!

We went to starbucks and he bought me a hot chocolate and a cookie and we sat for not too much longer than the 5 minutes he promised and actually had a nice time but said goodbye as I was still in shock from the day I was having. I don't know what it was but I think I will be going back downtown soon!

Unfortunately the craziness didn't end there as the second I walked in the door I had to run to get the phone only to have it be a friend saying she was on her way to my house to go to kickboxing class (which i had forgotten all about!). I quickly shoved some food in my mouth, changed my clothes and was off for the hardest workout I've ever done.

Needless to say I slept fantastically that night.

Leave a Reply