My photo
Nice to e-meet you! That's internet for Hello. And that's also about as far as I got in planning what to say in this thing...but as a lover of spontaneity and the inability to edit my own words because that would mean actually having an awareness as to the nothingingness that I am about to ramble on about for far too long...I'm just going to go ahead and keep typing. Apparently...

Valentines Shmalentines!

Surpisingly this year I was not dreading Valentines day at all, actually I was I've been in a loving good mood lately and was ready to embrace it. I had been asked out casually by a few boys but I turned them down as instead of spending the day on an awkward cheesey date I decided to take my Grandmother out on the town!
She hadn't been downtown to see all of the exictment yet and I figured what better day than a Sunday which was Valentines day, Chinese New Year, AND the olympics all in one!
We were excellent tourists and got to see lots of neat things. She really wanted to go to the Royal Canadian Mint as they had all of the medals on display and you could actually hold them and get your photo taken with them etc. Although cool, this definitely would not have been my first choice of activity but anything for grandma (or so I told myself as I waited in line for LITERALLY 4 hours!).



Of all the things to see, I have no idea why the line was so long but it was ridiculous. Luckily it was a beautiful day and we became quite friendly with the people in line with us (which included the mother of 2 boys who were smart enough to go to the front of the line and say that their mom was already inside and got in no problem). If only I was little again!

It was funny because they actually give you a white glove to wear on your hand to touch the medal (this almost made the 4 hour wait worth it).

The worst part of it was that after waiting in line this long it was past 5 by the time we got inside, only to find another line we had to wait in, and I had to leave to get to a concert I wanted to see. But overall it was still fun to see my grandma get all excited and I think she was happy to spend the day out and about!



From there I hopped on the skytrain over to YaleTown and luckily actually got in this time! YAY! I met up with Jana and a few of her friends and as our band wasn't on just yet we did some irish dancing to the band that was playing. Which apparently was really good according to the people watching and other random people just joined in and danced with us.

The crowd was pretty big so we weren't able to make it to the front of the stage but we were still pretty close when Mother Mother came on. They don't seem to be that big yet but I think they had a pretty dedicated fan base. And for good reason because they are AMAZING! They put on such a good show it was awesome!


Once they finished they put the medal ceremony on the huge screen tv's and the crowd went crazy for Canada's first ever Olympic Gold Medal on Canadian soil! YEEOOW!

After that the "headliner" Daniel Wesley performed and it surprised me that he was the headliner cause he had a lot less fans and Jana and I actually snuck right up to the stage to watch. He wasn't that great but I was not a huge fan of his to begin with so I wasn't expecting much, and of course it was still fun just to be there!

We left the concert a bit early and went to the Granville street of madness! We wanted to go somewhere cheap for a few drinks so we went to Cafe Crepe (cheapest drinks in all of Vancouver). When they finally had a table for us it was in the veerrrrry back of the resturant, completely isolated from the rest of the place and directly next to the washroom. And to make it worse, our waiter was hating his life! He was so miserable and when he came to ask us for ID's Jana joked to him that I wasn't of age and he snapped on me! I was terrified of him for the rest of the night and because I wasn't drinking I still wanted to show him my ID just to proved that in fact I really was allowed to be there!

To make the most of our isolation, we started conversations with everyone who walked by us on the way to the washroom. I think we were all surprised when people took it so well and actually sat down with us, only to have their friends come looking for them, thinking something went terribly wrong in the toilets.

It was funny until this one guy just would not leave and not only that but he completely saw no problem with helping himself to our food and beer. When his friend also came and tried sitting with us and being rude and annoying, we had made a few hints for them to leave but were all too polite to straight up tell them to leave.

The one guy sitting next to me asked me if anyone had ever told me that I look EXACTLY like a bunny. Not a rabbit, but a bunny (after he asked me if i even knew what a bunny was). He said that he really wanted to feed me carrots. It was awkward so I smiled and said thanks, to which he replied, oh well I'm not really sure that it was a compliment...

The next thing we knew Jana screams to some girl that she apparently knew from camp and hadn't seen in ages and told the guys she was sorry but they had to leave so that her long lost friend could join us. We found out later that actually jana just met this girl in the bathroom seconds earlier and begged her to help us get rid of these guys. A plan we were all thankful for!

5 Responses so far.

  1. HAHAHAAHA omg I am laughing sooo hard right now!!! Love your blog so far, hope you don't mind if I shamelessly promote it!

  2. Hahaha this is amazing!
    I hope that guy didn't want to feed you HIS carrot!!!

  3. Kisekae says:

    I live for shameless promotion!
    Oh my, I sure hope not, wouldn't that kinda be zoophilia!

  4. and thats why since we were little out parents told us to not talk to strangers...

  5. Kisekae says:

    hahaha oh tim, i suppose you may be right on this one....

Leave a Reply