My photo
Nice to e-meet you! That's internet for Hello. And that's also about as far as I got in planning what to say in this thing...but as a lover of spontaneity and the inability to edit my own words because that would mean actually having an awareness as to the nothingingness that I am about to ramble on about for far too long...I'm just going to go ahead and keep typing. Apparently...

floating free of time

The past year has been the craziest and possibly the best in my life. I have had almost everything that was constant in my life suddenly change and everything that I had counted, out of no where, slipped away. Now this isn't to say that these changes and unpredictable events have been all bad. I admit that they were not necessarily welcomed with open arms at the time but in fact they have changed me in some really wonderful ways (or atleast I like to think so!)

Where to start...

Well about 6 months ago I came to the realization that I have played my whole life safe and have too easily settled into what was easy and comfertable. I had always hated this about myself but finally decided that something needed to be done about it. With a little self discovery and a little help from the movie Yes Man (yes, this comedy really did have a big impact on my life as I know it), I made a promise to myself to try things a little differently. I wanted to take advantage of all that I could and do whatever possible to not miss out on oppotunities by being too shy or scared or nervous or whatever other uncomfertable feeling I get inside when confronted with something new.

The first step I took was to get a job overseas in England and travel on my own for a few months. This was totally out of my comfort zone and considering I had never been outside of Canada/US and had never been away from home for more than 2 weeks AND had never been anywhere ALONE, this was a huge first step for me. I lived my whole trip with this sense of taking chances and pushing myself waaay outside of what I would normally be comfertable with.
I remember one night in my hostel, bored, I was just going to go to sleep for the sake of not knowing what else to do (being alone and all), but instead I forced myself to go to the pub. I have never in my life gone to a pub alone before and I admit it was a horrible feeling, about 2 seconds after walking in alone and not knowing what to do with myself, I turned around to leave but just as I did a guy came up and started talking to me. It turned out that we ended up staying up talking til 5am (and others joined in as well) and it was one of the funnest nights ever! And in fact I still keep in good touch with that guy too!

Now I get that this doesn't seem all that crazy or spontaneous but this was just the beginning, and for me this really was quite the accomplishment!

So where am I going with all of this...

Well I suppose just to say that since this first step in my new outlook on life I have been keeping a journal to document everything and have never shared that journal with anyone but have been encouraged by friends to start posting some of my random adventures on a blog for others to read.
Now my life is not always as super exciting as perhaps it could be, but I am a full-time student and I am still getting used to breaking out of my shell so bare with me! I promise I may have some of the most spontaneous and random adventures to tell!

Leave a Reply